ENGINEERING THE FUTURE

​June 3rd, 2026

This morning, I had to be in the city early for work, and so I set my first alarm to go off at 4:45AM. It was 5:15AM when my 5th alarm kept going off that I came to my senses and realized I needed to get up before the day got ahead of me. 

The outfit I had planned didn’t end up looking the way I wanted, and so I kept switching outfits until I settled in something that I felt looked just okay. I hate when that happens, it puts me in a very tense and critical mood. 

The trip itself was relatively calm, though I started thinking more about this avenue I’m wanting to go down in the next couple of years. I guess it dawned on me that I’m a skilled engineer (of sorts, LOL). At least, I should say, so far I've been able to successfully create a sturdy foundation for myself. I think I realized early on that the future is shaped by those with either more power - or more preparation. I never held too much institutional power, but I’m naturally risk averse, and that’s a strength, because in that regard,  I make it my business to be well prepared. 

I’m on the brink of shifting things around, but I’m asking myself: in the next twelve months, how will I engineer a bridge towards this avenue I’ve recently had my interest piqued by? 

I’m evaluating my next role and trying to bridge the gaps. Of course luck, opportunity, and so on matter. I won’t deny that they play a role here. However, I also know that when you catch a whiff of luck, and don’t know what it smells like, it’s subtle enough to miss. And I can’t afford to miss the whiffs of luck that come my way. 

Today was beautiful. Like, scenically beautiful. It was eighty degrees, and I'm strolling through New York City. The only thing that could've made it better is if I had a million dollars to my name. 

Tomorrow is a pivotal day for me, so is Friday. I don't think my body's caught up to that yet.

We'll figure it out, I always do. 

- vetiveroil 


Comments