THE HAITI I REMEMBER
February 28th, 2026
Today I remembered that tiny piece of the island I was born on.
I remembered my grandma.
I remembered being rocked to sleep on a late afternoon on my dad's lap.
How his voice hummed and his heart thumped, and his anxious tics served as a tonic to make me fall asleep.
I remembered the taste of black coffee hit the back of my tongue.
How it felt to eagerly await the arrival of my aunty who always brought me a pink and white sachet of Pistache grillée.
I remembered my red and white uniform dress. My classmate Coralie.
How my father used to hold my hand tightly as we crossed the streets of Champ de Mars.
I remember tiny statuettes of the Neg Mawon for sale, carved from wood and dipped in black lacquer.
I remember the time my grandma took us on a pilgrimage, and how foreign it was ride a donkey.
I remember tiring myself out and lying on the tiled corridor floor in our house.
Colored pencils scattered about, my sketch book halfway full.
I remember the beach, and how my parents never let me swim alone, from fear of me drowning.
So I never really learned to swim until I was twenty three.
I remember a play date at my friend's - where I discovered I was allergic to pineapples.
I remember loving the comfort of my grandma's gentleness,
Not yet knowing it was beaten into her.
I remember splashing around in the pool for hours on end.
I remember middle aged men, cigars in between their lips arguing over a game of dominoes.
I remember Christmas being warm and smelling earthy and sweet - like boul chokola.
I remember feeling so safe in my dad's huge arms.
When I believed he was a Goliath of sorts.
Watching my mom from above, wondering why she was so giant.
If I'd ever grow up as beautiful or glamorous as her.
I remember my cousin Geraldine, her being misunderstood for simply being a girl.
Feeling bad for her, and yet shunned by her all at once.
I remember coming home from school, when my sister was three apples tall and happy as ever to see me again.
I remember Haiti being vivid, the colors around me never losing their hue.
These days, I wish I savored Port-au-Prince when I had the chance.
I wish I got the chance to visit my dad's hometown of Jacmel.
And then aux Cayes, and Aux Caps.
I wish I felt the chilly mountain air of Kenscoff.
I wish I understood why my mom wept so when my great-grandma passed.
I remember Haiti being a paradise of sorts before I left it.
By the time I returned, it had been turned inside out.
But there is a Haiti, and I remember it fondly.
- vetiveroil
Comments
Post a Comment